Train Station Restoration
In 2000, the Borough of Glassboro secured funds to purchase the former
railway freight depot at the Glassboro station on the West Jersey & Seashore
Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Built in 1860 but retired in 1970, the depot
is the last remaining structure at a station that once served 99 trains a day.
While progress on the rehabilitation was delayed by a proposed commuter rail
line through town, Greater Glassboro Group worked with the borough’s Historic
Preservation Commission to raise funds for partial restoration and eventual use
of the depot as a museum and welcome center.
Recently, an anonymous donor contributed funds for replication of the telegraph
system at the depot. The telegraph —invented in New Jersey in 1855 and
developed by railway employees to transmit train and track information —
was the nation’s first form of reliable long distance communication, the direct
precursor to today’s wired and wireless communication.
Completion is scheduled for September of 2015, when the station will be
open to the public for regular hours and guided tours.